Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Orpington x Silkie (Read 2345 times)
Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Orpington x Silkie
Oct 1st, 2008 at 6:07pm

My White Silkie pullet aka Houdini managed to find her way in to my Blue Orpington's pen today - and she was covered in mud so has obviously been trodden - poor little thing because he is an ENORMOUS Blue Orpington.

Any ideas what I'm likely to get if I set the eggs?   For instance, would the chick(s) be likely to have the Silkie plumage and the Orp size?

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Re: Orpington x Silkie
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:02am

Anyone?

It seems to be love - the little White Silkie is somehow managing to flutter over a 6 foot fence to be in with Dizzy the Blue Orp every day - I'm going to have to let them be together or put a mesh cover over the White Silkies.  

IP Logged

HeidiT
Sinbinner

This is a bit addictive.

North Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:46am

I'm absolutely not an expert at all, but from the silkie crosses I've done, I would expect orpington plumage, but with a crest. 5 toes, feathery legs. Not sure on size though!
I haven't done an orpie cross, but have a few crossed with other breeds, and all had those features Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Hen-Gen
Sinbinner

Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:49am

No Silkie plumage I'm afraid.
                                         But last year I visited the guy who has Amikas Poultry near Wolverhampton to buy a new cockerel and whilst there I spotted a Silkie X Buff orpington strolling along. He used her as a broody but I was very impressed. Big, stately and with a nice neat crest.

If you have nothing .........
                                      ......... give it away.

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:23am

I wonder if it'll work the other way around - Dizzy is the biggest Orpington I've ever seen and she's on the small side for a L/F White Silkie.   It would be nice to get an Orpington size broody.  

Shame about not getting the Silkie plumage though - do you always lose the Silkie plumage on any kind of ? x Silkie or Silkie x ? cross?

IP Logged

cazz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:32am

On the subect of silkie x 's. Would a silkie still pass on its black skin? or just 5 toes and a crest? I  have some little silkie chicks and am sure a couple are boys. Next year I would like to raise my own x 's. and my girls are fair skinned ( except for the silkies, of course) Roll Eyes

Cazz

IP Logged

Hen-Gen
Sinbinner

Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:24pm

Hi Rockchick,
                  Silkie plumage is dependant on the presence of two copies of the silkie feathering gene. So in the first cross the young inherit one gene for silkie feathering and one gene for normal feathering. Because the gene for normal feathering is dominant then the young always have normal feathering. If you then put the crossbred young back to a Silkie you then get half the chicks with silkie feathering and half with normal feathering.

Cazz, your question is a bit more complicated. To have the really dark skin a Silkie has to be pure breeding for two different genes. The first is the dark skin gene or to give it the posh name, the fibromelanotic gene. The second is the absence of the gene called 'inhibitor of dermal melanin' because if it is present then its stops the fibromelanotic gene expressing. And just to make things even more complicated the Id gene is sex linked.
        So the answer to your question is that it depends on:-
1) whether the Silkie is the mother or the father, and,
2) what breed you cross the Silkie with.
                                                         So in your case I would expect the cross between a Silkie Male and white skinned females to give white skinned cockerels and dark skinned pullets though not as dark as dad.

If you have nothing .........
                                      ......... give it away.

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 12:31pm

Thanks for the reply - I think I'm better off putting a cover on her run.  I love Silkies - such characters - I just wish they were bigger.

IP Logged

cazz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:16pm

Many thanks for that Hen Gen. They boy will be a Black pure breed Silkie.
As for Girls I have Pekins in Buff ,Silver Partridge and black Frizzle. Wyandottes in Silver laced and Buff laced. Cuckoo Marans. Barbu D'uccles in Millfleur. Lavendar Araunaca. An enormous Welbar - don't think he'll manage to jump on her Roll Eyes and Silkies in White, Partridge, and pale Blue.
Can't wait for next year to hatch an array of odlets Grin
Cazz

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print